I set up Subversion + continous integration (Cruisecontrol.Net) + testing (NUnit) + code analysis (NCover.Net) + VS2005 Subversion IDE integration on the weekend. Seems to be running pretty sweet. Why? Well its free – because I can 😛 – and its good to practise this stuff + I find on my little pet projects I seem to edit files and then sometimes need to rollback – now with some source control I can get back to where I was yesterday 🙂
I like the subversion model for editing files in a disconnected mode – makes it really good for working on stuff, when your out and about on some random machine, that may be offline for a while. Anyway, here’s all the bits that I used:
A 1 click subversion and subversion client setup: http://svn1clicksetup.tigris.org/
or alternativelly: The main Subversion page: http://subversion.tigris.org/ , and the TortoiseSVN install (subversion client): http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
Subversion VS IDE package: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org/ (this has a merge tool but maybe TortoiseMerge might be better – I havent checked it out…)
To get it all running I used the following in my ccnet server config (a snippet of the file):
<buildArgs>checkout svn://ghost64/TestProject/trunk/ TestProject–username ccnetbuild –password *****</buildArgs>
I found I needed a task to pull the source and build it – the main source block didn’t seem to want to do it… I don’t know what that was about… anyway I just put in a task to get a working set and away it went. After that I had the main nant build task (where the build, tests, and coverage where run) and finally I merged all the results in :-). I edited the main environment path variable to include the paths to the nunit and ncover executables and then I could run the following from my nant file (actually this was in a batch file the nant script called out too – note TestLibrary was the name of the test project in the solution):
ncover.console nunit-console TestLibrary.dll //w .\TestLibrary\bin\Debug
By wrapping ncover around the nunit tests it has something to run against… you cant just run it against a raw dll – it needs something to be running the code – this way nunit will exectue the code so you can cover a dll.
Anyway, overall it seems to be running really well 🙂 Check it out some time!